10 things to be happy about on the web
15 years ago
· 2 min read
Some of these are applications and some are content. I don't have a lot of strict rules for lists. List rules are for babies. Please don't tell the babies I said that. They have a strong lobby in my household. Ok, clearly I've lost it...the envelope please....
- FriendFeed - It's fun to see what your friends are up to on Facebook. It's even more fun to see what your friends are up to without having to be bit by a zombie.
- "How many record execs does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" - It's either funny if you don't have to work with labels or painful because you've had a similar conversation.
- Twitter - If you don't get it that's cool. You'll be like all those people that gave me a funny stare when I tried to explain what a blog was in 2000.
- Tumblr - Like blogging but lighter. Like delicious but heavier or easier or... just try it. Mine is at shellen.tumblr.com.
- Weebly - I met the founder at a ballgame recently and thought I would give it a try when I needed to create a quick, easy to edit website for my Mom. Very easy to use and well thought out. This is what Google Pages should have been.
- Google's Visualization API - In a few months I wouldn't be surprised if this is the new favorite mash-up API. I can't wait to see what people build. Sorry Google Maps. :(
- Merlin Mann's Twitter stream - He's a comedians comedian perhaps but still, I find it funny. I find myself starring every one of his posts.
- The anticipation behind Socialthing - Not the actual site, just the anticipation. It's not available yet and I don't have an invite but with sexy looking icons and a first page that screams 'I'm cool, don't you wan't to use me!' I'm looking forward to an invite code.
- live.yahoo.com - Who thought Yahoo would make the list? Despite the pending sale to MSFT their secret camp over at the Brickhouse pulled out a fun easy to use site centered around live video streams. Content at night gets a little sketchy though.
- Wire & Twine - Love the site design and the shirts.